Sunday 25 February 2024

Interview With Jewelry Designer Matt Harris

Hey there, friends! Are you ready to dive into a world of sparkles and treasures that'll make your eyes twinkle? Would you like to know more about a pearl jewelry designer?


Picture provided by Matt Harris

Well, get ready to hop aboard the fanciest, shiniest, most magical treasure train you’ve ever seen! πŸš‚πŸŒŸπŸ˜‰

Today, I’ve got something super duper exciting planned for you. Let me tell you, it’s like finding a shiny golden ticket in a chocolate bar! πŸ«πŸŽŸ️πŸ˜„

Guess what? I got to have an online chit-chat, an exceptional conversation with none other than a Celebrity Jewelry Designer. On top of that, he is also an Expert, Historian, and International Speaker! πŸŒŸπŸ’ŽπŸ‘‘

Can you believe it? I’m still pinching myself to make sure I’m not dreaming! Imagine connecting with someone who knows aaall about those precious pearls that make your heart go pitter-patter. Yep, that’s exactly what we’re diving into today! πŸŒŠπŸ’πŸ˜²

No, no, not that fast. First, I want to tell you a story about my initial encounter with pearl jewelry. πŸ€©πŸ“Ώ

When I went on my honeymoon to a place called Mallorca, also known as the land of pearls. I spotted the most amazing pearl necklace in a shop window! πŸ˜πŸ’ŽπŸ¬

I couldn’t take my eyes off it, seriously. It was like a shiny magnet pulling me in! Who knew pearls could be magnetic, right? πŸ€―🧲

Of course they are not. Now guess what happened next? My brand-new hubby, being the sweetie pie that he is, saw how much I was staring at that necklace. That’s why he just couldn’t resist buying it for me! Yes, my plan to charm him worked. πŸ˜‰πŸ’πŸŽ

Nah, of course there was no plan, but can you believe it? I was like, “Whoa, buddy, you sure know how to make a girl feel special!” πŸ˜ŽπŸŒŸπŸ‘ΈπŸ’–

There I was, in Mallorca, with my hubby and this gorgeous necklace. I felt like the luckiest woman in the whole wide world! πŸŒŽπŸ‘©‍πŸ¦°πŸŽ‰

Oopsy daisies! Looks like I did it again! I went way, way off track from what I was supposed to be talking about. I’m like a puppy chasing its tail sometimes, just can’t help myself! πŸ˜‚πŸΆπŸŒ€

Well, who says learning has to be all serious and boring, right? Maybe I’ll just call it “exploring new topics” instead of getting off track. πŸ˜πŸ”πŸ“š

Yep, that sounds much fancier! Ok then, here’s to never-ending adventures, and maybe, just maybe, I’ll stay on topic next time! πŸ˜„πŸ₯‚πŸ—Ί️

Alrighty then, it’s time to get ready, my wonderful pals! We’re about to dive into a super fun adventure full of sparkles and shiny stuff. ✨πŸŒˆπŸ’Ž

Maybe we’ll even pretend to be pirates hunting for treasure (well, probably not, but it’s fun to imagine!). Let’s explore the magical world of pearls and jewelry with our amazing pearl jewelry designer!  😍🏴‍☠️⚔️πŸ’°

Picture provided by Matt Harris

What is your name, function and the company you work for?  

I’m Matt Harris of Matt Harris Designs… a pearl jewelry designer

How old are you?

54

What kind of work do you do, or what are you studying to be? 

I was a software company CEO for 20 years, but always loved pearls. When I exited my software company a few years ago, I could finally concentrate on my passion. Now I design pearl jewelry and teach both consumers and the jewelry industry about pearls. 

What made you decide to become a Jewelry Designer?

When I got married, my wife and I decided to buy pearl necklaces for the bridesmaids, but neither of us knew anything about pearls! 

How would we know what we were buying? Were the pearls real? Were they treated or dyed? How do we know if we are getting a good price? I volunteered to take this task on and I have been obsessed with pearls ever since! 

At the same time, though, I was raising money to grow an educational software company and, sure enough, I got financed. While raising this funding, I made a few pearl necklaces, and they were a hit! 

Within months, my  pearl jewellery was selling in over 20 stores, but I had to concentrate on the software business once I received investor funding in order to be a good steward of my investors’ money. 

It took 20 years for me to exit that company and my pearl obsession never waned. While the software business was profitable, it didn’t capture my heart. I’m now finally back to my true passion… pearls.

Is fashion important to you? Why? 

When I think of fashion, I look at it from a view of a pearl jewelry designer. Is fashion important to me? Yes! But what is fashion? 

In a world where pretty much everything goes, my goal is to show people the allure, romance and history of pearls so that they can work them into their fashion, no matter how casual or fancy. There is a pearl for every outfit!

Picture provided by Matt Harris

What are your successes, and how did you achieve them?

Early on, I met Debra Messing, who wore my designs on Will & Grace. Then Britney Spears asked me to make a pearl necklace and earrings for a TV appearance. Kate Flannery wore a cranberry pearl necklace from me on the red carpet. 

Although, I just as much love the non-celebrity clients that fall in love with pearls and appreciate my designs! I achieved this simply by making pearl jewelry and being fortunate enough to witness my clients suggest my designs to others.

What’s something you might want to do in the future?

Great question! I’d love to be able to interview celebrities like Harry Styles about why they choose to wear pearls at visible events.

Is the name of the Brand important to you when you buy clothing or jewelry?

Yes, as long as the brand is a brand of great quality.

Describe your personal style of fashion?

I’m all over the map which keeps it interesting! I dress for the occasion, but I always wear pearls!

How did you find your personal style? Do you have a signature look? 

My jewelry designs mostly use pearls that aren’t perfectly round or blemish free. Most pearls are actually not round. I like to use pearls with personality! 

Picture provided by Matt Harris

Do you have an influence on other people’s fashion style?

I don’t think I influence other people’s styles, rather I help them show off their own

What are in your eyes the best trends at the moment?

Men in pearls… but it’s actually not new, but renewed! Men have been wearing pearls throughout history!

What are in your eyes the worst trends at the moment?

I have a hard time criticizing trends because pretty much anything goes these days. If it is “you”, embrace it. Self expression is so very far from limited right now. So, be you! 

What kind of fashion advice would you give us?

Just be you! And be proud of yourself!

Who is your style icon and why?

Karl Lagerfeld. Because his tastes and mine align. 

Is there something else you would like to share with us?

Have fun, buy your own style, and become a pearl geek like me!

Picture provided by Matt Harris

Thanks, Matt, for assisting with my interview questions. Your pearl jewelry is truly stunning. πŸ˜Š✨πŸ’Ž

If you're ever twiddling your thumbs and wondering what to do, why not sneak a peek at a bunch of my previous interviews with jewelry designers on this page? 

Hope you like my blog.....Until next time.....Have a nice day 

Renata (Seadbeady) 

Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on future posts and receive the next blog posts in your Email inbox  

Follow me on Instagram

Join me in my Facebook group to get more involved, if you want to be in my next gift guide, or just keep in touch 

Want to be on my blog next time?? Want me to review your product?? Just send me a message.

Liked my blog post? Share it with your friends by using the buttons below, or let me know what you think with a comment.

20 comments:

  1. The interview with jewelry designer Matt on Seadbeady's blog is absolutely captivating! The way Matt discusses his creative process and inspiration behind his stunning designs offers a fascinating glimpse into the world of jewelry making. His passion for his craft shines through in every word, and readers are sure to be inspired by his journey. Thank you for sharing this insightful interview – it's a must-read for anyone interested in the art of jewelry design!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview, it's impressive how fast his business grew! Oh and I really love the jewelry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow the first photo is just mesmerizing! What a beautiful style.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wat een prachtige sieraden, ik begrijp wel dat je blij bent dat je de designer mag interviewen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wat fijn dat je die man kon interviewen! Ik hou enorm van parels en vind het erg leuk om ze in een moderne compositie te zien!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the interaction of interviewer at interviewee. Also the jewelry is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wat ben je een boffert om een interview te hebben met deze creatieve man
    En wat een prachtige sieraden
    Ik ben gek op sieraden en stem altijd alles af op wat ik aan kledi
    G draag

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was a great interview. I loved hearing about Matt's encounter with pearl jewellery and how it sparked your passion for design. Matt's designs are absolutely stunning! I can see why celebrities like Debra Messing and Britney Spears have worn your jewellery. I also appreciate your advice to just be yourself and embrace your own personal style. Thank you for sharing your insights and passion for pearls with us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mooi! Ik vind het altijd zo knap dat mensen dit soort dingen kunnen maken.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love pearls, they remind me of my grandmother who always wore them. How amazing that his designs were even loved by Britney.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Peral jewellery can be really beautiful. I love that there are so many varieties and they seem to have different shapes too. I love the deigns shown. I can honestly say I've never seen a man wear pearls other than on cufflinks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wat een mooie en bijzondere sieraden zijn dit. Dit past echt bij mijn stijl

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wat leuk dat je hem mocht interviewen! Ik vind parels altijd erg mooi, maar helaas nog geen sieraad met parels.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those jewelry pieces are incredible! What unique designs for pearls. I love the floating pearl style of design. Such an interesting interview, and a unique profession.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pearls can be so classy! I like how there’s more modern looks too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This was a fascinating interview with designer Matt. I love hearing about the designs, especially pearls.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice to meet you, Matt, you have a quite adventurous life from a CEO to a jewlry desighner. Wish you best of luck with your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Matt's journey into jewelry design, fueled by a serendipitous encounter with pearls, offers a compelling narrative of creative inspiration and self-expression that's sure to resonate with readers.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beth: This interview is why I love seeing the person behind the business. I think it's so inspiring that he went from no knowledge of pearls to running such a successful business!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Colleen: Now that's the spirit of an entrepreneur. He didn't know how he was going to get there, he just knew he would. This really lights a fire in me.

    ReplyDelete

Your reaction will be visible after being approved

How to connect with European Brands or Small shops and Bloggers or Influencers

Hi There.....Would you like to connect with others? Yes..... Cool..... I might have the perfect solution for you..... No..... Ok, I am cool ...