Monday 1 April 2024

Interview With Fashion Designer Jamie Lewin

Hey there, fashion fans! Perhaps you are wondering how a fashion designer navigates the ever-evolving currents of the fashion industry to create lasting impact and success?


Picture provided by Jamie Lewin

Perfect, because today, we’re diving into the vibrant world of fashion with none other than the fabulous Jamie Lewin. 😎

Picture this: a whirlwind journey from FIT in NYC to the dazzling summits of design leadership, Jamie’s story is a masterpiece woven with threads of hard work, creativity, and a sprinkle of sheer brilliance. 😊🌟💫

She started as an intern and ascended the fashion ladder like a boss. Jamie has gathered accolades faster than a toddler collects stickers. 😉🏆

That reminds me of a long-lost era when I roamed the earth as a sticker aficionado. 🦕✨

Oh, the joy of peeling those sticky treasures off their backing, arranging them in albums, or displaying them proudly on my bedroom wall. 😍🎨🖼️

I admit, I somewhat twisted the truth. If you knew my dad, but perhaps none of you had the pleasure of knowing him. 😜🤷‍♂️

However, had you known him, you’d understand that adorning the walls with stickers was not an option. 😄🚫

Now then, back to our heroine, Jamie. Oh my, did I just call Jamie that? 😳😁

Well, she’s not just a fashion designer; she’s the ninja of the fashion industry, crafting multi-billion dollar global brands with the finesse of a maestro. 🎨👗

You had better hold on to your shiny, glittery hats, folks (if you own such fabulous accessory), because Jamie’s adventures don’t stop there! 🎩💫

Jamie has traveled the world seeking inspiration, from busy cities to peaceful retreats. 😌🌍✈️

Now let me tell you, she finds it! While working with celebrities and influencers, Jamie’s designs shine like a Hollywood premiere. ✨🌟

Now grab your imaginary popcorn. It’s ok to grab some fresh made from my popcorn maker. Let’s discover what makes this fashion maven tick! 😍🍿

Picture provided by Jamie Lewin

What is your name, function, and the company you work for?  

Jamie Lewin, Fashion Designer & Creative Director and Founder of Fashion & Lifestyle Magazine VETTED.  

Most recently, I was the Senior Women’s Design Director at Gap and the Head of Women’s & Kid’s Design at Outerknown.  Right now I am also consulting for several large brands in NYC providing product design, trend forecasting, and creative direction.  

How old are you?

44

What kind of work do you do, or what are you studying to be? 

I’m a fashion designer, creating seasonal collections for different brands. My designs have been in Net-A-Porter, J. Crew, Gap, Piperlime, Ralph Lauren, and Outerknown to name some of them. 

I also founded a digital, shoppable magazine called VETTED, which is a curated fashion & lifestyle guide. Crafting articles and edits for people to read and shop along with is something I love to do. I also feature other inspirational women who are forging their own paths in the fashion & lifestyle space and love to amplify their stories.

What made you decide to become a Fashion Designer?

My grandmother was a fashion designer and my grandfather was a master tailor so I grew up around fashion.  I didn’t know it was what I wanted to do until freshman year of college when I took a course called Environment, Textiles, and Design and became hooked.  It has become a lifelong passion!

Is fashion important to you? Why? 

To me, fashion is the way people express themselves and show the world who they are, whether intentional or unintentional. 

It is also where art, design, and functionality intersect and, as a designer, I love the challenge of constantly keeping things fresh and relevant, and creating new styles that people want to wear.  

Picture provided by Jamie Lewin

What are your successes, and how did you achieve them?

I went to school for fashion and then worked my way up. I think it’s important to start at the ground level and not skip any steps. The learning, the connections, the experiences are all so important to one’s success. And to be honest, it’s fun!  

I’ve worked hard and have been lucky to have a lot of success in my career, but I’m always looking for the next challenge and the next accomplishment. Just finding what I love to do and being able to make it my life is the biggest reward.

What’s something you might want to do in the future?

I’d love to continue building VETTED and have so many ideas for it in the future. I’d love to collaborate with other brands, cover events, and branch out into travel guides as I absolutely love to travel.  The sky’s the limit!

Is the name of the Brand important to you when you buy clothing or jewelry?

Brand names are not the only important thing to me, although there are brands I love for their designs and quality. To me, these three things are the reason for buying anything: Do you love the design? Is it made well? Will it last? 

My mantra is fewer, bigger, better. I’d rather spend more money on one really significant piece than the same amount on a few poor quality items.

Describe your personal style of fashion?

I would say Parisian meets LA. I’m always put together, but also have a more relaxed attitude about what I’m wearing. I really like a balance of masculine & feminine so there is a bit of an edge or tension in the look, and I like to mix staples with trends and play with proportion.  

How did you find your personal style? Do you have a signature look? 

I’ve always been a denim girl, love to wear short dresses, and historically have worn a lot of black. That was probably the New Yorker in me! 

I dress for my personality and body shape and always want to feel confident in what I’m wearing. My style has evolved a bit as I’ve gotten older, but the core principles have remained the same. 

Picture provided by Jamie Lewin

Do you have an influence on other people’s fashion style?

People always ask me for suggestions on everything from the best t-shirts to bags to dresses for events. I get a lot of messages from friends, and on IG, telling me they bought what I was wearing or are checking out a brand I suggested. 

I love being able to help people find things they love! Also, obviously, designing for huge brands like Gap has an influence on what lots of people are buying and wearing.

What are in your eyes the best trends at the moment?

I love that there is such a wide range of pant & denim shapes at the moment because there is literally something for everyone. It went from only skinny to now being wide leg, pleated, flare, straight, long, cropped etc. It’s just nice to finally have different proportions to play with. And I personally love wearing cargo jeans right now as well.

What are in your eyes the worst trends at the moment?

There isn’t necessarily one particular trend that I don’t like, but I feel that because of social media everyone is dressing alike or atleast following the same inspiration. It’s nice to have some individuality, to play around with things, and have fun with fashion.

What kind of fashion advice would you give us?

To always be yourself and dress in what makes you feel like the best version of yourself.

Who is your style icon, and why?

I love Pernille Teisbaek who is a stylist turned influencer. She’s got such grand style, not only for herself but for her clients, her kids, and her home.

Is there something else you would like to share with us?

I would love for people to visit VETTED and to follow along on Instagram or Tik Tok @vettedmag. I curate beautiful images, show how to style high and low price points together and where to shop for the most exciting pieces.  Basically, I’m scrolling and creating an edit so you don’t have to!  I welcome any feedback and love to meet new people through the platforms so please say hello!

Picture provided by Jamie Lewin

Jamie, I appreciate you taking the time to answer my interview questions. Your Ultimate Denim Guide on Vetted Instagram is fantastic! 👖👍

Hey, if you're twiddling your thumbs, why not dive into some more fashion designer interviews on this page? 😉💃

Hope you like my blog.....Until next time.....Have a nice day 

Renata (Seadbeady) 

Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on future posts and receive the next blog posts in your Email inbox  

Follow me on Instagram

Join me in my Facebook group to get more involved, if you want to be in my next gift guide, or just keep in touch 

Want to be on my blog next time?? Want me to review your product?? Just send me a message.

Liked my blog post? Share it with your friends by using the buttons below, or let me know what you think with a comment.

9 comments:

  1. Het lijkt me super om de wereld over te gaan op zoek naar kleding inspiratie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you're so inspiring! Thank you for sharing your story. Your career is truly someting to be proud of. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never heard of Vetted before. But as a fashion photographer I really enjoy reading about stories about fashion, and the stories behind the stylists. Interesting to read her story, so thanks for sharing ☺️!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice blog. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wat een leuke blog, ik had nog nooit van Vetted gehoord. Dank je wel om dit te delen en ik ga een kijkje nemen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erg leuk om te lezen weer en wat een mooie foto's zitten erbij! Ik vind het vooral belangrijk dat je jezelf goed voelt in kleding.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ik ben niet iemand die heel erg de mode volgt, maar ze heeft zeker gelijk als ze zegt dat je kleding moet dragen waar je je goed in voelt, want dan straal je ook meer zelfvertrouwen uit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ik vind het altijd zo leuk om jouw interviews te lezen

    ReplyDelete

Your reaction will be visible after being approved

How to connect with European Brands or Small shops and Bloggers or Influencers

Hi There.....Would you like to connect with others? Yes..... Cool..... I might have the perfect solution for you..... No..... Ok, I am cool ...