Sunday 10 September 2023

Interview with Jewelry Designer Sheila Johnston

Hi There! Do you think jewelry design is super interesting? Ok, and what about sparkly opal jewelry? Does it make you smile?


Picture provided by Sheila Johnston

Cool, that means you might be ready for a new interview. Now what a coincidence, so am I. Yay, I just killed two birds with one stone. 🐦🐦😁

What?? No, of course not literally. I wouldn’t hurt a fly. Oh my, that’s a lie. I have killed several flies. Does that make me a killer? 😰

Then again, I wonder, because I only hit them with my kitchen towel, so they fall to the floor. That’s all I do, I swear. They aren’t dead, just unconscious. 😡😟

It’s not my fault that our sweet cat knows this and is ready to devour them the moment they touch the ground. πŸ˜‚πŸ±

I am sorry I drifted again. What were we talking about? Ah yes, we were talking about opal jewelry design. 😎

Have you ever laid your eyes upon a piece of jewelry so exquisite that it made your heart flutter with joy and excitement? πŸ˜πŸ’•

Get ready, because right after this little twist, I’ll introduce you to an amazing opal jewelry designer who wants to make you feel as amazed as she does! 😊

Her goal is to capture the same joy and excitement she feels when designing and sourcing her opal jewelry and share it with you! πŸ˜„

She wants you to experience the magic of opals and wear jewelry that tells a story of beauty, wonder, and adventure. ✨😘

So, dear readers, get ready to embark on a sparkly journey you won’t want to miss! πŸŽ’πŸ’Ž

Picture provided by Sheila Johnston

What are your name, function, and the company you work for?  

My name is Sheila Johnston and I am the owner and founder of Sheila Marie Opals.

How old are you?

I am 58 years old.

What kind of work do you do, or what are you studying to be? 

I left a corporate career in life insurance to pursue my dream of a company that does business with our neighbors to the south, Mexico. 

I studied Spanish there after college and fell in love with the culture and experience. I now have a great relationship with a family that owns an opal mine there.

What made you decide to become a Jewelry Designer?

About 15 years ago my husband decided I needed a hobby (though I’m still not sure why:). He encouraged me to take up jewelry making, usually with beads. Surprisingly to me, I really liked it. 

Then he opened a boutique shop making handmade candles and other small batch items. We thought jewelry would be a good addition. 

I made a few pieces of jewelry with opals and saw an opportunity to offer a larger variety of opals than I see in stores, even those that specialize in opals. I have a very diverse collection of opals in my store.

Picture provided by Sheila Johnston

Is fashion important to you? Why? 

Though I no longer really wear them, I must admit that I feel very comfortable and stylish in a business suit and high heels. I usually felt a certain amount of confidence and sophistication when wearing them.

Now that I’m out of the corporate world and designing jewelry I find I choose clothes that work for the jewelry I want to wear for the day, usually quite casual. Oftentimes my husband will offer ideas on clothes he likes, we have fun with it.

What are your successes, and how did you achieve them?

Creating my own business with connections to Mexico is my biggest business success. Though it took me a while, I am a very persistent person and determined to reach my goals no matter how long it takes.

Is the name of the Brand important to you when you buy clothing or jewelry?

Generally, no. However, I certainly like buying a name brand when I know that it means better quality. I usually wear clothing, shoes, handbags and jewelry for a long time and want to know it will last.

Describe your personal style of fashion?

I have for the most part been somewhat conservative in how I dress and the jewelry I wear, especially when I was in the corporate world. That has changed somewhat now that I am running my own business, but not a lot. I do enjoy finding vintage clothing of timeless classics when I can and good quality 70’s and 80’s throwbacks too.

How did you find your personal style? Do you have a signature look?

In my earlier years I was always very frugal, perhaps to a fault. I would buy clothes and jewelry that I really loved, but very few items. I would wear them very often. I’m now willing to spend more and have more, though I still love the classics.

Picture provided by Sheila Johnston

Do you have an influence on other people’s fashion style?

I have made people aware that there are a lot of options in jewelry they may not have been aware of. I’ve helped dispel superstitions about wearing opals. 

There are lots of myths that people still believe about wearing opals that are not true. Most were started in the 1800s but for some reason have continued and are still believed today.

What are in your eyes the best trends at the moment?

I like chain, though not too big and heavy. I like to use chain in my designs and experiment with the chain and how it works with the shape of the stone. For example the paperclip is not too big and heavy, but usually sturdy enough to stand the test of time.


What are in your eyes the worst trends at the moment?

I’m not a big fan of the big, bulky chains that are popular at the moment. I prefer a bit more refined chain, especially when I’m pairing it with gemstones, opals, of course.

What kind of fashion advice would you give us?

I would say your approach to fashion can vary by the day. If you want to highlight your jewelry for the day or occasion to make a statement, start with the jewelry and choose your clothes around it.

Picture provided by Sheila Johnston

A super-duper thanks, Sheila, for chatting with me in this interview. Your jewelry is super special, and it's so cool that you are trying to help pets in Ukraine.

Hey, if you don't want to stop reading, you can take a peek at the awesome chats I had with other jewelry creators before this! So, if you want more glittery tales, they're all set for you to jump into!

Hope you like my blog.....Until next time.....Have a nice day 

Renata (Seadbeady) 

Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on future posts and receive the next blog posts in your Email inbox  

Follow me on Instagram

Join me in my Facebook group to get more involved, if you want to be in my next gift guide, or just keep in touch 

Want to be on my blog next time?? Want me to review your product?? Just send me a message.

Liked my blog post? Share it with your friends by using the buttons below, or let me know what you think with a comment.

6 comments:

  1. Wow! How cool that she is helping pets in the Ukrain! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wat een mooie stijlvolle oorbellen, een goede tip voor als je bijpassende accessoires wilt voor bij je outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grappig, ik hou ook niet van die grote opzichtige sieraden en geef de voorkeur aan een klein steentje in een armband of ketting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vooral de ketting met de gekleurde kraaltjes vind ik erg mooi. Ik houd van fleurige sieraden.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wauw, wat een mooie items zeg! Ze gebruikt ook erg leuke kleurtjes :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wat een mooie kleurrijke sieraden. Zelf draag ik vintage en zilveren sieraden

    ReplyDelete

Your reaction will be visible after being approved

How to connect with European Brands or Small shops and Bloggers or Influencers

Hi There.....Would you like to connect with others? Yes..... Cool..... I might have the perfect solution for you..... No..... Ok, I am cool ...