Sunday 30 June 2024

Interview with Jewelry Designer Meri Geraldine

Hello, fabulous readers! Ever wondered what it takes to be a jewelry designer with a mission for ethical jewelry? Perhaps you are curious about how an ethical designer turns bold ideas into stunning, sustainable pieces?


Picture provided by Meri Geraldine

Buckle up because today we’re diving into the glittering, glamorous world of jewelry again. And who’s our guide on this sparkly journey? 🤔🌟🛤️

None other than Meri, the superhero founder with a cape made of ethical gold and a tiara of transparency! 🦸‍♀️💫👑

Honestly, can you imagine how cool such a cape would look? I’m already dreaming of wearing one for my next day out! 😌💭

Com'on Seadbeady, wake up and continue writing your blog post! This is not the time to dream. 😴💻✍️

Oh, sorry. Who was I talking about? Sometimes my memory's like a rusty old car trying to find its way! 🤔👵😂

Ah yes, Meri is the ultimate jewelry wizard. Blending bold ideas with a heart so big it deserves its own zip code. 🧙‍♂️💖

Seriously, her brain never takes a coffee break. She’s always buzzing with ways to make things better. ☕💡

It’s like she’s the fairy godmother of the jewelry world, touching, shaping, and sprinkling magic on every part of the business. ✨🧚‍♀️💍

Would you like to know what her mission is? To meet every single person in their supply chain. 😕🤝

She’s the Santa Claus of ethical jewelry, checking her list twice and making sure everyone gets their fair share of joy. 🎅🎁

I can’t help but wonder. Does this Santa Claus visit adults too? I have to tell you I’ve been *very* good this year! 🤔🎄😇

Well ok, except for those times I pull the legs of my readers. That’s the mean part of me. It’s not my fault. Some of you may already know I blame my parents, since they made me. 🤷‍♀️😄

Now let’s get back to our jewelry designer. The next time you put on a piece of her ethical jewelry, remember: you’re not just dazzling the room. 😎💎💫

You’re dazzling the world with your amazing, positive choices. Shine on, you ethical superstar! 🌍✨👏

Picture provided by Meri Geraldine

What is your name, function, and the company you work for?  

I’m Meri and I’m the founder of the ethical jewelry brand Gardens of the Sun.  

How old are you?

I’m 36 years old. 

What kind of work do you do, or what are you studying to be? 

I studied tropical forestry and started my career as a sustainability consultant. As founder and director, I do just about everything to keep the business running in line with my vision. 

Let's not sugarcoat it - running a business like this comes with its own set of challenges. Sourcing materials ethically and sustainably can be difficult, and it's not always easy to find suppliers that align with the brand's values. 

It's hard to make sure the final jewelry truly leaves a positive impact on the world, not just another "greenwashing" tactic. 

The jewelry industry has a reputation for being secretive, unethical and damaging to the environment. It's not uncommon to hear stories of mines destroying the environment and worker exploitation. 

Plenty of businesses toss buzzwords like ethical, sustainable or responsible around. But they don't necessarily mean the same thing, and they’re not always backed by action or change. 

There are no quick fixes to solve the shortcomings in bringing gemstones and metals to market. It takes extra effort, resources and plenty of determination. Since it’s hard to disrupt a world of profit. In other words? It's complicated. 

What made you decide to become a Jewelry Designer?

I started creating and designing jewelry as a creative outlet. It was only when I realized I could combine my passion for creating jewelry with my desire to do good and my background in responsible supply chains and production that I fully embraced being a jewelry designer. 

Is fashion important to you? Why? 

Not really, because it’s so transient. But style is. I like to look good, because it makes me feel good when I feel beautiful. 

Picture provided by Meri Geraldine

What are your successes, and how did you achieve them?

Two things I’m most proud of are setting up a fully traceable supply chain for our ethical gold, which is mined by indigenous women who pan the gold by hand, free from mercury, free from deforestation and in return receive fair pay. 

You can read more about that partnership here. Earlier, we became B Corp certified and I’m really proud of receiving third party certification for how we run our business. 

What’s something you might want to do in the future?

I’d love to open a showroom and gallery this year, to show our clients not just our jewelry, but also how it’s made and the people and stories behind the jewelry.  

Is the name of the Brand important to you when you buy clothing or jewelry?

For some brands, I know they share my values. So I would prefer to purchase from those brands.  

Describe your personal style of fashion?

I love natural materials, like cotton, lyocell and silk. I like minimal styles that make me feel feminine and sexy, but are also easy to wear. In practice this means I wear a lot of single tone jump suits and dresses with long slits and open backs, paired with Birkenstocks.   

How did you find your personal style? Do you have a signature look? 

I went through a nasty divorce in 2019. I decided to wear clothes that helped me feel beautiful, but were comfortable enough for motherhood and Bali life - think bike rides along the beach. 

Picture provided by Meri Geraldine

Do you have an influence on other people’s fashion style?

I don’t think I do. 

What are in your eyes the best trends at the moment?

For jewelry, I love the ring and earring stacking trends. It means you can wear simple pieces of jewelry, but pair them into more exciting combinations. 

I also like that more clients are looking at yellow gold and simple engagement ring designs. It means you let the center stone and the materials do the talking. 

What are in your eyes the worst trends at the moment?

There’s a growing demand for ethical and sustainable products, and the jewelry industry is no exception. People are becoming more aware of the impact their purchases have on the world and are willing to pay more for products that align with their values. However, simply labeling a product as "ethical" or "sustainable", is not enough to make a real difference.

For example, many jewelry companies may claim that their diamonds are ethically sourced, but they may not provide any transparency or traceability in their supply chain. They may not disclose where their materials are sourced from or how they ensure their suppliers don’t engage in exploitative practices. 

This lack of transparency makes it difficult for consumers to verify a brand’s claims. 
I see a lot of fast fashion brands jumping on the sustainability bandwagon, without actually embodying the values behind it. 

Or you may see t-shirts that say feminist on them, but that are produced in a way that exploits women in the supply chain by a company that’s owned and run by men. 

I also think a downside of yellow gold gaining popularity again is that cheaper brands are going for gold plating. Gold plating means a very thin layer of gold is attached to a cheaper base metal. The thing is that gold plating uses toxic chemicals and those chemicals aren’t always disposed of properly. 

What kind of fashion advice would you give us?

If you want the clothes and accessories you wear to express your values, also think about how they’re made and produced, and what values lie behind them.

Who is your style icon and why?
I don’t have a style icon.  

Is there something else you would like to share with us?

SHORT BIO
Meri Geraldine started her career as a sustainability consultant, campaigning against oil palm plantations, saving tropical rainforests and advocating for indigenous people. 

As the founder and CEO of Gardens of the Sun, she still seeks a higher purpose in everything she does. She now uses jewelry to plant trees, empower female miners to stop using mercury and support victims of wartime sexual violence. 

Picture provided by Meri Geraldine

Thanks, Meri, for helping me with my interview questions. I admire that you are making ethical choices, and stand up for indigenous people! 😊✨💎

Now, dear readers, if you're ever looking for something to do, why not take a peek at some of my past interviews with jewelry designers on this page?

Hope you like my blog.....Until next time.....Have a nice day 

Renata (Seadbeady) 

Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on future posts and receive the next blog posts in your Email inbox  

Follow me on Instagram

Join me in my Facebook group to get more involved, if you want to be in my next gift guide, or just keep in touch 

Want to be on my blog next time?? Want me to review your product?? Just send me a message.

Liked my blog post? Share it with your friends by using the buttons below, or let me know what you think with a comment.

10 comments:

  1. I really like the designs of the jewellery and the gemstones used in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your radiant energy and what a stunning jewelery you make! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mooie sieraden maken je outfit af en het geven je een persoonlijke uitstraling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heel mooie juwelen zijn het, ik ben vooral weg van die groene steentjes dat op de laatste foto.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wat mooie juweeltjes zijn het, de eerste ring vind ik super prachtig en de groene juweeltjes op de laatste foto ben ik ook helemaal weg van. Prachtig....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heel mooi die sieraden met edelstenen, ik houd hiervan! Leuk/interessant interview ook.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ik ga zeker even een kijkje nemen want ik ben nog op zoek naar een mooie armband, dus altijd leuk om nieuwe ontwerpers te ontdekken.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this collection of rings. Very chic

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hurray for sustainable jewelry!I love these looks. I don't wear jewelry too often, but I would love some of these pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ik vind de ringen ontzettend mooi, echt mijn stijl!

    ReplyDelete

Your reaction will be visible after being approved