Saturday 17 April 2021

Social Movement for Acceptance for People with Down Syndrome - The GiGiFIT Acceptance Challenge on June 5, 2021

Hi There..... Are you up for a challenge? Would you want to take part in a social movement to get acceptance for people with Down Syndrome?

As some of you may already know, at the end of the year, I always write a blog about a good cause. The end of the year is not nearly in sight, I know. As Franz Liszt said, Beware of missing chances; otherwise it may be altogether too late some day. ๐Ÿ˜„

Am I talking in riddles? Great, I love a good riddle. Sometimes things aren’t clear right away. That’s where you need to be patient and persevere and see where things lead. That’s another quote, but this one is from Mary Pierce. ๐Ÿ˜

Gigi’s Playhouse is hosting a challenge on the 5th of June, so I couldn’t wait till the end of the year. They want to make the world a more accepting place for individuals of all abilities. ๐Ÿ˜


Their motto is to change the way the world views people with Down syndrome and to send a global message of acceptance for all. ๐Ÿ˜Š

This reminds me of an encounter I had a few years ago. I was in the hospital because I needed surgery on my knee. I booked a room for 2, with a view. Haha, yes, a superb view of the parking lot from the hospital. ๐Ÿ˜‚

When I arrived for my surgery, they brought me to my room, and there was an elderly lady in the bed near the window. She was the worst, not only for the nurses, but for me as well. She was hooked up to an intravenous drip and wasn’t allowed to get out of bed. The nurses had told her to ring the bell if she needed to get out of bed. ๐Ÿ˜Š

She was the most impatient woman I had ever met, and she kept calling the nurses for the silliest things. How the TV worked, how the remote for the hospital bed worked. I couldn’t get out of bed either, but those were questions I could have answered for her too. I was anxious to see what the night would bring. ๐Ÿ˜จ

During the daytime, there had been little opportunity to rest, but nothing could have prepared me for the night. She still kept ringing the nurse’s bell for the smallest of problems. ๐Ÿ˜’

Have you ever spent the night in the hospital? Yes? Then you already know that there are fewer nurses during nighttime, so less time for silly requests. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Suddenly, in the middle of the night, she got up out of bed. She didn’t think about the intravenous drip. She felt something hold her back. Instead of going back, she just pulled it out. ๐Ÿ˜ฒ

Blood was spraying all over, but she just kept going. I woke up in an instant and rang the nurses. The room looked almost like a murder scene, and I was ever so lucky to have been a witness to it all. Can you imagine how sad I was to see her go? ๐Ÿ˜

I prayed there would not be a new roommate. Well, you get what you deserve when you are a nonbeliever. The opposite, of course. Yay, I got a new roommate. ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ


I could tell she had down syndrome. That worried me because she was making a fuss. She didn’t want her mom to leave her alone in the hospital. By eight in the evening, her mom went home, and she asked if she could watch her TV program. I had no problem with that, so I used the remote control to turn on the TV. ๐Ÿ˜Š

I had seen her glance a few times at the remote control but didn’t realize why. While she was watching her program, I took my crutches and went to the toilet. ๐Ÿ˜•

As I came out of the bathroom, I could see her hurry back into her bed. I noticed the remote control was missing. She had been rather friendly, and I wanted to keep it that way, so I acted as if nothing happened. When she went to the bathroom, I didn’t feel the urge to take the remote back. ๐Ÿ˜

The program ended, so we watched the next one together. During the commercial break, I went back to the toilet. When I came back, the remote control was back where it was before. Again, I acted as if nothing happened. I could see that made her happy. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

They discharged her from the hospital the next day, but before she left, she did something unsuspected. Before she got out the door, she came to me and gave me big a hug. It was such a cheerful moment. Something I will always remember. ๐Ÿ˜

Oh wow, it's almost 6 in the evening and I haven't even told you much about this challenge from GiGi's Playhouse


They are aiming to get 2,000+ or more individuals motivated to MOVE for change and inclusion. MOVE for your health and MOVE for global acceptance! From March 21 through to our Speedway event on June 5 you can walk, bike, golf, run, lift, play sports, swim, whatever! They challenge people to collectively participate in a physical and social movement for acceptance to prove that everyone is accepted for who they are.

How to Participate    

Register and create a personal or team fundraising page!

  • Upon registration, you can choose to register as an individual or as a fundraising team.
  • Registering as an individual will allow you to select which Playhouse location you would like to support. After completing registration, you will now have your own fundraising page. This page will be your hub for all things fundraising. Share the link to this page with friends, family, colleagues, and more. You should reach out to anyone that can help raise awareness and funds for your GiGi’s Playhouse location! 
  • Registering a team, or joining a team will allow you to combine the efforts of many fundraisers to reach the common goal of raising funds and awareness for GiGi’s Playhouse! The best part is that no team can be too big or too small! Share the link to your teams fundraising page and encourage others to register and join you in helping spread the message of global acceptance for all!

Host Your Own Personal Events

  • An awesome new way to raise funds and spread awareness for the Acceptance Challenge is to host your own community events. These community events can be anything that brings people together. It is a way for our supporters and fundraisers to be able to engage with their network in the manner that is most effective and convenient for them!  
  • The community events can take place any time leading up to the Acceptance Challenge on June 5th. We want to include EVERYONE in the GiGiFIT Acceptance Challenge!
  • To create your own community event, you must register as either a team or individual fundraiser. Once registered, your fundraising page presents you the opportunity to Host a Community Event. Fill in all the details for your event, select “donation required,” then share the link to whomever you want to invite. It’s that simple! Now, go out there and host the best Acceptance Challenge Community Event that you can!

Donate and Spread Awareness!!


Are you an Influencer? Maybe you can help them, because they are always looking for Influencers with a heart, passion, and compassion, to spread the word about their challenge. Together we can all help to make our world a better place for everyone, no matter what race, color, or ability. ๐Ÿ˜

Hope you like my blog.....Until next time.....Have a nice day 

Renata (Seadbeady)

Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on future posts and receive the next blog posts in your Email inbox  

Use Follow.it to manage your Email followers

Follow me on Instagram

Follow me on Bloglovin to save posts, create collections, and follow other blogs all in one  

Join me in my Facebook group to get more involved, if you want to be in my next gift guide, or just keep in touch 

Want to be on my blog next time?? Want me to review your product?? Just send me a message at seadbeady@telenet.be 

17 comments:

  1. I love this so much, thank you for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://gigisplayhouse.org/fortmyers/ride-and-roll-for-acceptance/

      Thank you! Won't you consider joining our MOVEment? Kathryn Manz Executive Director

      Delete
  2. This sounds like a great program. We all should have compassion and understanding for those who are less able.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeff. GiGi's Playhouse Fort Myers and all our Playhouses provide much needed services and programs for individuals! Join us! https://gigisplayhouse.org/fortmyers/ride-and-roll-for-acceptance/

      Delete
  3. What an awesome movement, I love this so much! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://gigisplayhouse.org/fortmyers/ride-and-roll-for-acceptance/

      Thank you. Join our MOVEment! Kathryn Manz Executive Director

      Delete
  4. I love this! And I love that you dedicate a post like this every year. There definitely needs to be more awareness of Down Syndrome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://gigisplayhouse.org/fortmyers/ride-and-roll-for-acceptance/
      As the Executive Director of this organization, I would appreciate the assistance and acknowledgment of you and your circle of friends! We are starting a MOVEment! Join us! Kathryn Manz

      Delete
  5. During my gall-stone removal surgery, we booked a deluxe cabin so I was in my room with a nurse and my husband, no roommates! Yes, we must make this world a more accepting place for individuals of all abilities �� Great initiative by them ����

    Thanks,
    Everything Enchanting

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wat een mooi doel! Goed dat je hier aandacht aan besteedt

    ReplyDelete
  7. een enorm mooi doel! fijn dat je hier aandacht aan besteed

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that this social movement is in support of acceptance for people who have Down Syndrome. Having a bad roommate in the hospital is the absolute worst, but sometimes you'll get some decent ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://gigisplayhouse.org/fortmyers/ride-and-roll-for-acceptance/

      We look forward to you joining our MOVEment for change! Kathryn Manz Executive Director

      Delete
  9. wat een ontzettend goed doel zeg! En wat een verschrikkelijk mens was dat in het ziekenhuis haha

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heel goed dat je hier aandacht aan besteed. Goede blog .

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wat goed zeg! Heel fijn en leuk dat je er aandacht aan besteed

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wat goed dat je hier aandacht aan besteed en wat heb je dit mooi geschreven.

    ReplyDelete

Your reaction will be visible after being approved

How to connect with European Brands or Small shops and Bloggers or Influencers

Hi There.....Would you like to connect with others? Yes..... Cool..... I might have the perfect solution for you..... No..... Ok, I am cool ...