Wednesday 14 April 2021

Interview with Fashion Designer Heather Spears

Hi There..... Would you want me to cut to the chase? Ask no questions today? Start this blog post about another Fashion Designer Interview right now? 

Too bad, because I already asked you 3 questions. Did you even read them? 😨

Yes? Great, then you know I am giving some more insight into the Fashion Industry today. I love doing these Fashion Designer Interviews, and I sure hope you do too. 😍

Then again, maybe you would rather skip this first part, but you can’t leave here before you have satisfied that curiosity of yours. You have a burning desire to stay here and keep reading, almost as if you are under a spell. I bet you didn't realize that I could do that with you. 😁

It’s just like watching an extremely boring movie. The title sounds quite promising, so you get comfortable in your lazy chair to sit back and relax. You open your bag of crisps and lean back. 😋

The beginning is boring, but you convince yourself the exciting part will start soon. After half an hour, you have your doubts if it will get any better. However, you keep on watching. As the movie is past halfway, you need to decide what to do. 😯

The film isn’t getting better, by now you are no longer hopeful. You realize the movie will not get any more entertaining. Curiosity got the better of you. Will you turn it off or keep watching because you seriously want to know how it ends. Tell me, I have to know if I am the only fool that does that. 😱

Ok, let's pretend there was no beginning to this blog post and get right to the more interesting part about the answers Heather Spears gave to my questions. She is a 27-year-old independent Fashion Designer who makes costumes for clients. 😊


What kind of work do you do, or what are you studying to be?

I always jam my workday packed with a lot of different creative avenues; from design sketches to technical pattern making and garment construction and everything in-between. It feels like I am always on my toes!

Is fashion important to you? Why?

Fashion has always been important to me. I feel like it is a magnificent way to express yourself. What we wear can symbolize how we feel, things we love, and who we are. I feel like fashion has been an emotional support system for me and helps me feel good about myself, even when my mind is telling me otherwise. A cute outfit lifts my spirits more than it should, but I can’t help the fact that fashion makes me happy.  

What are your successes and how did you achieve them?

The fashion industry has been full of so many trials for me. It seems like finishing every project is at least a minor success, no matter how big or small, they each have their own little feeling of accomplishment. Being from a background of custom, more elaborate, and “out-there” creations, some of my favorite successes are on the whacky side.

They featured me on Vogue for their Met Gala Challenge from a recreation of Billy Porter’s 2019 The Blondes look. I did that a month before I designed a costume based on the animated series Rick and Morty for Adult Swim. It was a ball gown based on the classic scene of the characters jumping through the show’s iconic portal; this look is so zany, I laugh at it every time I see it. I don’t know if I love it or feel embarrassed of it, but a smile is a smile however it takes your face in the books.

Is the name of the Brand important to you when you buy clothing?

The quality I wear is far more important to me than the actual brand name of the product. Brands are fun, but I feel they are something to be careful of. I don’t want to wear items just because of their name, but I wear what makes me feel my best.


Describe your personal style of clothing?

My personal style teeters between very outlandish and crazy to extremely dialed back and classy and nothing in-between. I either love to be that over-dressed showstopper or poised and elegant. I know those things don’t always walk hand-in-hand, but that is the best way to describe my personal style.
 

How did you find your personal style? Do you have a signature look?

That might be my biggest trouble, I don’t think I ever found my personal style. There are people out there that make your jaw drop and you could point at something and know it’s so them. I have so much respect for that, but know it’s not me. I like so much about fashion that one ascetic will never be just me because I think highly of styling yourself in different ways. Maybe someday I’ll settle down, but for now, I’m going to jump from one style to the next until I can decide on who I want to be.

Do you have an influence on other people’s clothing style?

I am the go-to gal in my friend’s group for what to wear. I can’t help but talk about clothes so much that I think the answer to this one has to be as simple as “yes”. Now, I don’t know if I can take credit for being a good style influence… you can just call me the fun style influence if you want to (haha)

What are in your eyes the best trends at the moment?

Oh wow, that is a brilliant question! One of the big things I see I am in love with for spring/summer 2021 is painted denim bottoms. When you talk about fashion, expressing who you are, it doesn’t get better than painted denim because that can be anything. I have seen things like beautiful flowers on cut-off shorts to full pant legs done by hand from amazing artists. I love it all and hope to see this continue to grow in popularity; not only does it give an outfit some fun pops of casual color, but in just a second I can tell a bit about the person wearing them I may never know otherwise. I think that’s pretty cool.
 

What are in your eyes the worst trends at the moment?

I am so not a fan of overly small bags. I know they are great for adding little bits of color, but when I’m carrying a bag, it’s like a black hole. You can pull anything out of that thing if you’re in a pinch. I can’t make good use out of a bag smaller than a decimal. As cute as they are in appearance, I don’t think they are functional enough for a girl like me who likes to carry everything and the kitchen sink.

What kind of fashion advice would you give us?

When it comes to what you wear, just be you. We live in a time where being yourself is more important and accepted than ever. I feel like fashion walks hand-in-hand with that. Wear what makes you feel good, wear what makes you feel beautiful or cool, be strange if you want to be as long as you can look in the mirror and see the wonderful person who you are looking back at you. When we see someone else killing it with being who they are; smile and know that their expression is a win for all of us.

Who is your style icon and why?

Gosh, there are so many impressive icons in style to choose from. I always lean towards people who go as far as their imagination can take them. Right now, I feel like appreciating Lady Gaga for every eye-turning moment she’s ever made possible through fashion, but also for her ability to keep a collected sophistication in her look. And you can’t forget about her overall support of others being their unique selves, either.

Is there something else you would like to share with us?

Thank you so much for the opportunity to talk fashion with you!

Thank you too, Heather, for filling in my questions. You should visit her Youtube channel. She has lots of love and passion she wants to share with the world on her channel.

Check out some of my previous Fashion Designer Interviews.

Hope you like my blog.....Until next time.....Have a nice day 

Renata (Seadbeady)

Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on future posts and receive the next blog posts in your Email inbox  

Use Follow.it to manage your Email followers

Follow me on Instagram

Follow me on Bloglovin to save posts, create collections, and follow other blogs all in one  

Join me in my Facebook group to get more involved, if you want to be in my next gift guide, or just keep in touch 

Want to be on my blog next time?? Want me to review your product?? Just send me a message at seadbeady@telenet.be 

5 comments:

  1. Off to check out her youtube channel, she sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it's a huge honor to be featured in Vogue! I also agree about the small bag trend, it's cute but it's not beneficial haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was such an interesting interview to read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really good interview from an amazing designer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview! And I agree, although brands are super fun, I prefer what makes me feel best.

    ReplyDelete

Your reaction will be visible after being approved

How to connect with European Brands or Small shops and Bloggers or Influencers

Hi There.....Would you like to connect with others? Yes..... Cool..... I might have the perfect solution for you..... No..... Ok, I am cool ...