Wednesday 4 August 2021

Interview with Fashion Designer Morgan Oughton

Hi There..... Would you like to dive into the fashion industry and get a new fashion designer interview today?

Not that your yes or no is going to make any difference to what I am presenting to you today. That fashion designer interview is on the menu today, like it or not. You can say anything you want about it in the comment section, though. That's a lie because I don't allow any spamming in my comments. 😏

I used to think, why do people hate spam. It's not that bad. We used to eat it a lot when I was a teenager. We would have those large cans, and my mom would slice the canned ham so that we could eat it with our sandwiches. Ooh, just thinking about it makes me hungry. 😋

My dad and mom used to buy them while we were on holiday in Wales because we didn't have them in Belgium. I miss those British foods, you know. Like scones, bangers, tomato soup, and so on. I remember almost every time we went to the restaurant, I used to eat fried prawns with chips. Just to get a bit of variation. 😁

Let's alter the subject and get back to our dive into the fashion industry and the fashion designer that's on today's menu. The fish I caught today is the 37-year-old Morgan Oughton, and she is the owner and head fashion designer of Spacefish Army


What kind of work do you do, or what are you studying to be? 

I graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree in Fashion from the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York specializing in lingerie and swimwear and spent 10 years as a fashion designer, graphic designer, and art director for several large companies. I designed Men’s, Women’s, and Kid’s sportswear, lingerie, sleepwear and worked on many licensed apparel brands, including Disney and Marvel.

What made you decide to become a Designer?

As a teenager, I actually really hated shopping, so I started making my own clothes. I had always been an artist, but my mom and my sewing teacher really encouraged me to try fashion design as a career.

Is fashion important to you? Why? 

I love the combination of fashion with functionality. I like when things are really well made and serve their purpose but are also eye-catching art pieces. That perspective has made me focus on quality fabrications and unique graphics, much more than trying to do something too crazy with the silhouettes of the garments.

What are your successes and how did you achieve them?

I wholeheartedly believe that hard work will get you wherever you want to go in life, but there’s no definition of success besides the one you create for yourself. 

I achieved everything I thought I wanted in my career in New York and was an Art Director for the biggest sleepwear company in the country, but I left it all in 2016 to pursue my passion for scuba diving and have spent 3 years living on boats and swimming with some of the coolest animals on the planet. 

In 2018 I circled back to fashion to create my line of apparel for divers simply because the market was boring and needed some color and life. I am still working on making my company a financial “success”, but what I do now is more fulfilling than all 10 years spent working for other people.

Is the name of the Brand important to you when you buy clothing?

A brand should have a certain quality associated with it, so while I don’t care about logos on my clothes, I will definitely buy a brand based on past purchases that have met my expectations.


Describe your personal style of clothing?

I’ve always loved lots of colors and prints, but I’m a very active person comfort and versatility are also very important to me. I am usually wearing some kind of brightly colored activewear ready for spontaneous adventures.

How did you find your personal style? Do you have a signature look? 

I almost exclusively wear my company’s clothing because not only am I a walking advertisement everywhere I go, but I designed them to be everything that I love about clothes, so they match my personality perfectly.


Do you have an influence on other people’s clothing style?

In the diving industry, for sure! Our products are unique in the market and we make more and more fans every time we are around other divers & ocean lovers.

What are in your eyes the best trends at the moment?

I always love a good tie-dye and neons, I’m glad they are back. 

What are in your eyes the worst trends at the moment?

The “Tik-Tok” leggings are really hilarious to me. Maybe I’m just getting old, but even my 21-year-old self would not have signed up for everyone in the world to glare directly into my buttcrack.


What kind of fashion advice would you give us?

Just have fun with it! Nothing in life should be taken too seriously, but especially not fashion. Wear what makes you feel most like you. 

Who is your style icon and why?

I follow a lot of mermaids online but my favorite by far is Charity Grace. She pulls off the mermaid vibe 1000% with colorful hair combinations and beautiful ocean-inspired outfits.

Is there something else you would like to share with us?

Share us with the mermaid in your life!
Thank you!

Thanks, Morgan, for answering my questions. I think your designs are so cool. If you like her designs, be sure to follow on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/spacefisharmy/

In for another Fashion Designer Interview? Check out these previous ones.

Hope you like my blog.....Until next time.....Have a nice day 

Renata (Seadbeady)

Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on future posts and receive the next blog posts in your Email inbox  

Follow me on Instagram

Follow me on Bloglovin to save posts, create collections, and follow other blogs all in one  

Join me in my Facebook group to get more involved, if you want to be in my next gift guide, or just keep in touch 

Want to be on my blog next time?? Want me to review your product?? Just send me a message.

Liked my blog post? Share it with your friends by using the buttons below, or let me know what you think with a comment.

9 comments:

  1. I have never heard of this designer! Nice stuff!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love interviews with the designers! It reminds me to do it on my blog again. the designs are so fun and attractive, I enjoyed it a lot

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the flow of this interview, so good and smooth.
    Morgan's designs are really good and unique. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such an awesome feature, I always learn so many new things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's so cool that she helped design some Disney and Marvel clothing. I'd be so excited if that happened to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh so fun to read!! Love getting to know a little more personal information and details!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really adore learning about any kind of artists, their inspiration, thought process they put into their creations. Thank you for featuring this extraordinary person. And I love designs for tights. Will check out the store.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That ham can??? I want. Your past insights are fun.haha.
    Britian doesn't have their own cuisine its only borrowed. Just for insight.
    Hated shopping so started making own clothes... that was sweet. Very good interview. Xx
    Isa A. Blogger
    https://www.lifestyleprism.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your sense of fashion. The dresses are cool too.

    ReplyDelete

Your reaction will be visible after being approved

How to connect with European Brands or Small shops and Bloggers or Influencers

Hi There.....Would you like to connect with others? Yes..... Cool..... I might have the perfect solution for you..... No..... Ok, I am cool ...