Thursday 12 January 2023

Interview With Fashion Designer Kara Mac

Hi There..... Are you interested in sustainable fashion? Would a footwear fashion designer interview be interesting to you?


Picture provided by Kara Mac

Come on, there is no point in denying it. Every woman loves footwear. There are lots of women with a compulsive buying disorder (CBD), and for some, it’s all about the shoes. They would love this new fashion designer interview, and I am not inventing this. The addiction is real, just as I am a seedbeadaholic. ๐Ÿ˜

They may not list my addiction in books, but it’s just as genuine as a three-dollar bill. You know what that means, of course, bogus. I swear, though, that CBD is an actual addiction. ๐Ÿ˜ณ

No need to worry, however, if people want to sell products with CBD in them, there is no reason to fear you might get addicted to shopping. ๐Ÿ˜

The compound found in cannabis used in those products doesn’t get you addicted either. Oh my, so boring, I need a glass of whiskey and a cigar. ๐Ÿ˜ซ

Are you crazy? Eek, I dislike the taste of anything that contains alcohol, and I never touched a cigar or a cigarette in my life. Hmm, that last one could be a lie. I’m not sure if having a barbeque is smoking? Ok, boring, but that’s just me. ๐Ÿ˜œ

Time to change the subject to more interesting matters. Let’s see how the fashion designer, starring on my blog today, answered my questions. ๐Ÿ˜

Picture provided by Kara Mac

What are your name, function, and the company you work for?  

Kara Mac, Creator, and CEO of Kara Mac Shoes

How old are you?

57

What kind of work do you do, or what are you studying to be? 

I created the world's first, instantly swappable ladies’ shoe from heel to toe. One pair can become multiple looks with our interchangeable heel covers, sandal straps, and toe clips we call Candy. We are disrupting the footwear industry one shoe at a time.

What made you decide to become a Fashion Designer?

I was a child artist and preferred doodling all over my notebooks instead of getting good grades in the basics. My mom taught me to sew starting at age 7 and when I was 12 years old, I told my mother I was going to go to the Fashion Institute of Technology to be a fashion designer. It was the only school I applied to, and I was very lucky to be accepted.

Is fashion important to you? Why? 

Very much so. Fashion has always given me the ability to be myself. I’ve gone through many phases throughout my years, from preppy to punk to classic, bohemian, and back to classic. I dress according to the weather, my mood, and where my day is taking me. My fashion is not necessarily about being noticed, it’s about airing confidence and a tiny form of power. 

Picture provided by Kara Mac

What are your successes, and how did you achieve them?

I am super proud to have earned a double utility patent from the USPTO for my heel change invention. It took five years, an incredible amount of money to the attorney, and a trip to DC to meet with the Examiner. I knew what I had engineered had not been done before, but getting that point across and validated by the USPTO was incredible.

What’s something you might want to do in the future?

I want to learn to drive an 18-wheeler truck. I actually hate driving long distances, and would not use the license, but I’d love the challenge to try it.

Is the name of the Brand important to you when you buy clothing or jewelry?

In my younger self, the brand name was important as I wanted to be associated with the coolness and/or price tag. Now, I only buy specific brands for quality and/or sustainability purposes.

Describe your personal style of fashion?

It always depends on the occasion. I am a Rent the Runway Member and rent my clothes for most events, weddings, and business meetings. It allows me to continue my pledge of sustainability and wear the coolest outfits once and then return. 

I am 6’ tall and not overweight, so many styles look good on me, but I stay away from anything above my knees and anything unconstructed in the waistline. I love to layer and mix and match. 

How did you find your personal style? Do you have a signature look? 

Denim skinny jeans, a white tee shirt, a cool sweatshirt or jacket (love my Camo Jacket), and a scarf around my neck. I always wear a pair of my Kara Mac Shoes boots or sandals. On a bad hair day, I’ll grab one of my woven narrow-brim hats and throw a colorful scarf around it or wear one of my many baseball caps.

Picture provided by Kara Mac

Do you have an influence on other people’s fashion style?

I think I may have, based on likes and comments on my social media, but who knows? Ultimately, our goal at Kara Mac Shoes is to influence people towards sustainable fashion that is well-made and versatile. 

What are in your eyes the best trends at the moment?

Wear-now is the oversized faux fur and shearling jackets and coats with a huge scarf, fingerless gloves, and a cashmere sweater, jeans, and ankle boots. I love comfy, flowy cotton day dresses in Spring and Summer with contrasting sweaters, jackets, or shawls. Thong sandals with coordinating straps and heel covers are always fun and a great way to show off your personality in a subtle way.

I am currently watching denim as it is coming back with so many styles. This trend is one that is driving my sustainable bootie line. 

What are in your eyes the worst trends at the moment?

Anything fast-fashion and I can’t stand those dresses and shirts with the cut-outs at the waist and all over the back. I hope that disintegrates soon. Ultimately, while fast fashion is affordable, it is not good for the environment. You’re better off spending more on a quality piece that will last. 

What kind of fashion advice would you give us?

Wear what makes you comfortable and confident. Fashion is about self-expression. When we are portraying who we are through fashion, it builds confidence. That’s why I love fashion right now – it’s so open and expressive. Just do you.

Who is your style icon and why?

Although I’ve worked in the fashion industry for over 20 years alongside some top designers, ultimately my style icon is ME. That’s why I dress the way I do. At all times, I must be comfortable and warm. 

I despise bras and Spanx although I will wear them with formalwear. I often think of people like the late Vivienne Westwood and Betsy Johnson, who are the epitome of personal style and self-expression that is authentic to who they are. Still, I can also say that is true for most designers and that’s what makes them successful.

Picture provided by Kara Mac

Thanks, Kara, for answering my questions. I think your heels are a magnificent invention. I've seen nothing like it. They could change a pair of boots from daywear into party wear.

If you are ready for some more, check out my previous fashion designer blog posts.
https://seadbeady.blogspot.com/2022/10/interview-with-fashion-designers.html

Hope you like my blog.....Until next time.....Have a nice day 

Renata (Seadbeady) 

Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on future posts and receive the next blog posts in your Email inbox  

Follow me on Instagram

Join me in my Facebook group to get more involved, if you want to be in my next gift guide, or just keep in touch 

Want to be on my blog next time?? Want me to review your product?? Just send me a message.

Liked my blog post? Share it with your friends by using the buttons below, or let me know what you think with a comment.

6 comments:

  1. Ohh wowo....I had a good read of this nice interview, thanks for sharing this, continue to share more interviews ya.Cheers Siennylovesdrawing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my footwear too; if you saw the amount of shoes I have you’d think I’ve lost my mind! Lol! But they’re so fun and vertical! Thank you so much for sharing!

    -Whitney Stewart

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do feel like fashion really allows people to express themselves, and is such a cool medium for expression. Lovely interview!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This certainly does seem like an interesting product. Though, aside from making something sustainable it would be interesting to see if she makes more inclusive footwear (sizes/widths) as not everyone is a 6ft model such as herself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful to have the patent for the heel change. It's nice to have an idenitfiable legacy, shows you put your all into what you love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is definitely a good looking product! I love how the footwear looks and perfect matches.

    ReplyDelete

Your reaction will be visible after being approved

How to connect with European Brands or Small shops and Bloggers or Influencers

Hi There.....Would you like to connect with others? Yes..... Cool..... I might have the perfect solution for you..... No..... Ok, I am cool ...