Wednesday 26 October 2022

Interview with Fashion Designer Kahindo Mateene

Hi There..... What time is it? Oh, ok, time for another fashion designer interview, I guess?


Picture provided by Kahindo Mateene

If you ask me, it's always good to learn more about fashion brands that are new to us. 😍

I was also thinking you might be interested in knowing more about the background of fashion models? Let me know if that's a subject that speaks to you. 😯

Oh my, that means I am giving myself more work, because I would have to come up with new questions for them to answer. Ooh, I am such a fool, but you already knew that, didn't you? 😜

Do you also know who comes on Wednesdays? We have a stupid riddle about that in Belgium. It's the butchers, they are there to cut the week in half. Don't know about you, but I think it's fun. 😄

As I was trying to look up if there is something similar in English, I came across this lovely quote from Anthony T. Hincks, "Wednesdays will always bring smiles for the second half of the week". It brought a smile to my face for sure. 😊

Let's hope my next interview with fashion designer Kahindo Mateene brings a smile to your face, too. 😉

Picture provided by Kahindo Mateene

What are your name, function, and the company you work for?

Kahindo Mateene, Founder and Designer of KAHINDO

How old are you?

43

What kind of work do you do, or what are you studying to be?

Fashion brand owner

What made you decide to become a Fashion Designer?

I became a Fashion Designer because I wanted to design clothing that represented my Congolese heritage and African upbringing in a modern way, and also told authentic and positive stories about the African continent. 

I also wanted to use fashion as a vehicle to make a social impact, specifically in Sub-Saharan Africa, where I am from, by creating jobs, empowering women, and ending poverty through paying fair living wages.

Is fashion important to you? Why?

Fashion is important to me because I believe that making conscious, responsible decisions today will create a better future for everyone. Sustainability in fashion is about much more than fabrics and material sourcing. It also extends to the people who create products and the fairness of the practices that surround their work. 

As part of our commitment to ethics and sustainability, we only use ethically sourced materials and are devoted to fair-trade production practices. In addition, we are actively working to meet the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals, which include gender equality, climate action, access to quality education, and elimination of poverty.

Picture provided by Kahindo Mateene

What are your successes, and how did you achieve them?

I have had some great opportunities, including showing at fashion weeks
throughout the world, being accepted into the Chicago Fashion Incubator at Macy's, the Zappos Emerging designer program, and after 3 auditions getting selected to compete on Season 12 of Project Runway as a Designer
Contestant. I am also carried at Rent The Runway, Nuuly, and 5 boutiques.

Is the name of the Brand important to you when you buy clothing?

No, how it's made and who made it is more important than the name of the brand.

Describe your personal style of clothing?

My personal style is ever-changing. I dress the way I feel for the day. It can be chic, colorful, sexy, and sophisticated.

How did you find your personal style? Do you have a signature look?

It’s ever-changing, but I like to look unique and different.

Do you have an influence on other people’s clothing style?

I think so. I use a lot of color and prints and my designs also reflect this.

Picture provided by Kahindo Mateene

What are in your eyes the best trends at the moment?

A return to authenticity and just following an individual sense of style and not dressing trendy.

What are in your eyes the worst trends at the moment?

Following trends that don’t fit into your personal style.

What kind of fashion advice would you give us?

Never be scared to experiment with colors. They are a great mood booster.

Who is your style icon and why?

My late Mother is a constant inspiration for me, and how I design for my fashion brand KAHINDO. 

She was a fashionista back in her day and wore beautiful traditional African print outfits, which were à propos in the 60s and 70s. She had an individual sense of style, and I am so happy that I inherited that from her.

Picture provided by Kahindo Mateene

Thank you, Kahindo, for answering my questions. I am very much a fan of your designs. 😍

Hope you like my blog.....Until next time.....Have a nice day 

Renata (Seadbeady) 

Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on future posts and receive the next blog posts in your Email inbox  

Follow me on Instagram

Join me in my Facebook group to get more involved, if you want to be in my next gift guide, or just keep in touch 

Want to be on my blog next time?? Want me to review your product?? Just send me a message.

Liked my blog post? Share it with your friends by using the buttons below, or let me know what you think with a comment.

5 comments:

  1. Interesting fashion interview, I've read many intrerviews but not a lot of designers interview. Love these because we get to learn new things from the pro people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that it's more important how something is made than who it is made by. That being said, when you know you know, and with some designers, you know. :) Happy to see this intereview!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's nice to see this interview. I'm sure it's so nice to show at fashion week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wat een leuk interview, en een mooi kijkje achter de fashion industrie.

    ReplyDelete

Your reaction will be visible after being approved

How to connect with European Brands or Small shops and Bloggers or Influencers

Hi There.....Would you like to connect with others? Yes..... Cool..... I might have the perfect solution for you..... No..... Ok, I am cool ...