Saturday 30 October 2021

Interview with Fashion Designer Martin Thornburg

Hi There..... Are you getting married soon? Have you found a wedding gown already?

I got married back in 1986, so that means we have been together for 35 years already. Ah yes, few make it that far nowadays, because getting married is just not that common anymore. 😊

I read in US News that in 2018, the rate of getting married fell to 6.5 per 1000 — the lowest level recorded since 1867, the first year for which federal government data on national marriage is available. 😧

Oh my, does that make me some kind of freak? That’s also the second time this week I had to ask myself that question. Well, if there is no way around it, I might as well own it and throw in some cool wrinkles to make sure I fit perfectly in the Halloween spirit. 😜

Then again, if people are still getting married today, that would mean they might want to become a geek someday too. Unless they are already planning to get divorced before they make it that far. Does that make any sense to you? I suppose not, so I had better change the subject before it gets any worse. 😬

Ooh, that’s going to be quite a problem. I don’t think I want to change the subject of this blog post. If things get worse, so be it. Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn. Haha, that’s a line from the 1939 film Gone with the Wind spoken by Rhett Butler (Clark Gable). 😏


I bet Martin Thornburg agrees that it's not an issue. My guess is that he thinks it's wonderful that I didn't change the subject because he is the bridal designer at Mon Cheri Bridals. Martin Thornburg designs four bridal lines: Luxe, Enchanting, and Modest.  


How old are you?

Well, how old do I look? 

What kind of work do you do or what are you studying to be? 

I am a bridal designer, so what I do is make brides feel the most spectacular they can on the most important day of their lives. So creating that "Perfect Dress" was a special gift I was given. Besides design, I am in charge of merchandising for bridal markets at Mon Cheri.  

What made you decide to become a Designer?

Some people have a divine calling in life, and when I created my first custom wedding gown- I knew I was answering mine. I wanted to make not just one bride happy through a custom gown but a plethora of brides, which is when I made the switch to design. I create dresses that have an incredible fit, thoughtful construction, and impeccable detailing. 

Is fashion important to you? Why?

Of course, fashion is important to me! I feel that fashion is an extension of your personality, making a statement about who you are, which is why I take so much pride in my profession, letting brides extend their personality into their wedding gown. 

Picture Martin Thornburg

What are your successes and how did you achieve them?

I would argue that your successes mean nothing if you have no one to share them with, so my greatest success would be the beautiful family I created with my wife. We have two exceptional children, and they are my greatest success. 

Is the name of the Brand important to you when you buy clothing?

The brand has no meaning to me when I buy clothing,because I care more about fit and quality. When I buy clothes, I look for clothing that I like first, and then I look to ensure if it is made well and fits great. 

Describe your personal style of clothing?

When it comes to me, I have a classic style. The word 'classic' is often misinterpreted as 'boring,' but I am far from that. My style is always stylish and timeless. I go for clean silhouettes, tailored cuts, neat hems, simple patterns. 

How did you find your personal style? Do you have a signature look? (See Above)

Classic style is all about the fit, so the tailoring of my clothes is always top notch. I have two classic looks. The first is a great fitting suit with patterned shirts and ties. The second is a blazer with great-fit jeans and a classic white cotton dress shirt. 

Picture Martin Thornburg

Do you have an influence on other people’s clothing style?

I like to think that I do not necessarily have an 'influence' on people's clothing style, but that the people closest to me ask my opinion because they value it. The people closest to me invite me shopping with them because I get to look and tell them to try something they might not have when shopping themselves. 

What are in your eyes the best trends at the moment?

For the bridal industry, the biggest trend at the moment is sleeves! As a designer, this is a trend I adore! There are so many variations of sleeves I can design. For the longest time, bridal gowns were strapless with a sweetheart neckline (a classic look I love)! But, now, the addition of sleeves to bridal gowns means endless design possibilities. 

What are in your eyes the worst trends at the moment?

A trend I will never understand is flip-flops! People want to wear flip-flops with everything and everywhere. I don't get it. 

What kind of fashion advice would you give us?

The best fashion advice I will give when shopping is to stop looking at sizes! Today, we are all so focused on the size of our clothes that we forget what's really important- how it fits. There is nothing worse than buying something too big or too small; it is detrimental to an outfit. 

Who is your style icon and why?

As you know, my style is classic, and that transfers into my designs. My designs are inspired by the classic style icon Grace Kelly. She always said it's important to see the person first, and the clothes afterward. So as I design, I try to put a classic spin on something that is trending now. 

Is there something else you would like to share with us?

My Spring 2022 collection is out now; love is for everyone! Visit MartinThornburg.com to view my newest 27 gowns! 

Thank you so much Martin to take the time to answer my questions. I saw on your website that you also have fabulous designs for plus size women, and I think that's superb. 😍

Check out some of my previous fashion designer interviews

Hope you like my blog.....Until next time.....Have a nice day 

Renata (Seadbeady)

Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on future posts and receive the next blog posts in your Email inbox  

Follow me on Instagram

Follow me on Bloglovin to save posts, create collections, and follow other blogs all in one  

Join me in my Facebook group to get more involved, if you want to be in my next gift guide, or just keep in touch 

Want to be on my blog next time?? Want me to review your product?? Just send me a message.

Liked my blog post? Share it with your friends by using the buttons below, or let me know what you think with a comment.

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your interview! I love how Martin decided to become a designer. I can feel the passion and commitment that entails to be part of the person's biggest day of his/her life. Wedding gowns is not just a piece of dress but yes, an extension of one's personality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. These wedding dresses are beautiful. I wish I could have my wedding again and wear them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. there always is something truly special about formal wear and gowns. SO beautiful! I enjoyed learning more about the person who actually does it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow those are some absolutely stunning gowns!

    ReplyDelete

Your reaction will be visible after being approved

How to connect with European Brands or Small shops and Bloggers or Influencers

Hi There.....Would you like to connect with others? Yes..... Cool..... I might have the perfect solution for you..... No..... Ok, I am cool ...