Wednesday 17 November 2021

Interview with Fashion Stylist Janet Igah

Hi There..... Would you like to learn more about what goes on behind the screens of the fashion industry? How about a new fashion stylist interview?

I have had a lot of positive reactions from you, saying you love those deep dives into the fashion industry. But it pains me to say that this is going to be the last interview I am sharing. 😢

Did you really believe that? Of course not, but I will have to launch a new search for fashion stylists, because I am almost out. I still have a few up my sleeve, so there is no need to worry. 😉

If you are a fashion designer or fashion stylist, you can always contact me for an interview. You can find a contact box right below the pictograms of my blog followers. 😊

There is no need to worry about the time. You can contact me at any hour of the day. I have no problem with that, because I only open my mailbox after breakfast. 😏

Time to see what Janet Igah (pronounced ee-gah) answered to my interview questions. Most people call her Jane, and she is self-employed as a Fashion + Interiors Stylist and the Editor-in-Chief of The Doe Online. 

How old are you?

Getting up there, I am currently 33 years old.

What kind of work do you do, or what are you studying to be? 

I mainly am called upon to style for e-commerce and editorial, but also have a handful of personal styling clients. I am what you’d call a fluid learner, always learning. The more I know, the more I need to know. 

These days, I am really focused and passionate about my work in PR (public relations). Specifically, media relations and internal communications. It’s not quite styling but is a great vertical that keeps me on my toes.

What made you decide to become a Fashion Stylist?

Many moons ago, I had a really intense romantic relationship. The person I was involved with was very into fashion. I only knew that I wanted to be a designer. I didn’t know too much about that world. He did, so that really intrigued me. We’d talk for hours on end of people, places, and new things in the fashion industry that were happening. 

I think I really fell in love with fashion, while he was falling in love with me. Lol. At some point, he encouraged me to become a fashion stylist because of my innate sense of style, or as perceived by him. Anyway, the rest was history.

Is fashion important to you? Why? 

Fashion is important to me, but not as important as style. I think that has been my reference point my entire life. While I love brands, and swoon over European-driven style, I really pay attention to the details of a look. The accessories, the way it’s all put together, and of course the personal aura of a person in anything. Personal aura has a lot to do with style, which, in turn, influences fashion. It’s a weird but eloquent cycle. They need each other to thrive.


What are your successes and how did you achieve them?

Successes, Lol. I try not to think of them often so I don’t get stuck on them. I would say as of late, I have had to reflect on them, especially through the Pandemic, because it was hard to stay motivated. So, something I am extremely proud of was launching my fashion showroom for independent brands in the Flatiron District of New York City and starting a fashion journal simultaneously. 

It’s definitely a lot of work, a lot of inner contemplation and prayer. I must, however, emphasize that I have learned so much from watching other people in my field who have successful business models and killer work ethics; people who I have been privileged to either work under or call friends. I learn a lot by observation. I then internalize it, make it my own, and then build a dream around it. One that I can call my own. 

Then I build the foundations of the dream by researching what I’ll need to get started. This part is usually in a repetitive cycle, but with anything I have brought to fruition, it started with me seeing it repeatedly, getting it down in my spirit.

Is the name of the Brand important to you when you buy clothing?

Yes, and no. I am not really into fast fashion. 2019 was probably the last time I stepped foot into a major fast-fashion retailer. So essentially quality, sustainability, and legacy matter to me when shopping. I love to thrift because a lot of the pieces I love come with a rich heritage or are from an era that is nostalgic for me, like 90s hip hop or 70s fashion in old Italian movies.

Describe your personal style of clothing?

I love to be comfortable with anything I wear, no matter where I’m going. My go-to's are a pullover hoodie, preferably in a neutral color, leggings or free-flowing pants, and some sneakers, preferably Nikes. I mix various styles to achieve my mood for the day, but I have a pretty core wardrobe of oversized graphic tees, hoodies, denim jackets, blazers, destroyed denim pants, and sneakers. 

I also wear the same jewelry pieces from day to day, so I try to buy pieces that last, in terms of wear. I really love yellow gold, vermeil, or beaded things. Anything with texture, like mohair or snakeskin, really has my heart.

How did you find your personal style? Do you have a signature look? 

Through trial and error. You never really land on a fixed personal style, if you ask me. It’s likely going to be fluid throughout various life changes and moods. One year, I remember having a huge fixation with knee-high flat boots. That phase didn’t last too long, as I rebuilt my sneaker collection.

I am highly inspired by music (hip hop, R&B, and Rock), Black culture, and West African fashion. These things have found their way into my personal style, as well as my work overtime. I am a Nigerian who was born and raised in New York City, so I feel there has always been a disconnect between me and my true roots. My fashion choices over the last few years have been my advance towards reconnecting with them.

In what way do you influence other people’s clothing style?

I am always talking about the way we consume fashion and how everyone looks the same these days. People I am close to either already feel the same way or have adjusted their shopping habits to reflect a more sustainable lifestyle after a few conversations. I try to show clients and friends a new perspective when building their own wardrobe. Conversation is key in driving home key style principles and challenging the industry at large.

What are in your eyes the best trends at the moment?

Trends are a little fickle, but if I had to name a superb one; it’d be the “Above the keyboard dress” look. This became popular during the Pandemic (the Zoom era). That’s where everything from the waist up looks really put together, and from the waist down, everything is super chill, and sometimes even out of pocket from what’s being worn above. That’s a trend I can subscribe to.

What are in your eyes the worst trends at the moment?

Leggings as clothes, lol. But I don’t care, I am sticking beside ‘em!

What kind of fashion advice would you give us?

I say: Be you! People are always going to have an opinion about how you should dress and what you should look like, and by the way, it resets every 2 - 3 years. However, comfort breeds confidence; so if you’re not comfortable with a trendy look, you won’t look trendy in it. I’ll also say: Clothes are your language before anyone even hears a word from you, so make sure you’re saying something special, something you’d want to say.

Who is your style icon and why?

I really love singer-songwriter and chef Kelis. To this day, no one is touching her in my eyes. She has just always done what she wanted and set a lot of trends in motion that we still love. 

Is there something else you would like to share with us?

You can connect with me on Instagram @thereeljanedoe. Thanks for having me.

Thank you, Jane, for taking the time to answer my questions. I love the idea of clothes being your language. 😎

Check out some other fashion stylist interviews, while you are at it. 😃

Hope you like my blog.....Until next time.....Have a nice day 

Renata (Seadbeady)

Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on future posts and receive the next blog posts in your Email inbox  

Follow me on Instagram

Follow me on Bloglovin to save posts, create collections, and follow other blogs all in one  

Join me in my Facebook group to get more involved, if you want to be in my next gift guide, or just keep in touch 

Want to be on my blog next time?? Want me to review your product?? Just send me a message.

Liked my blog post? Share it with your friends by using the buttons below, or let me know what you think with a comment.

8 comments:

  1. This was such a great interview. It's great that she launched a fashion showroom for independent brands. That's pretty awesome! I'd love to check out the fashion journal too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating questions and answers, I had know idea on some of these. Was good to find out. my mom and sister would love this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super great interview. Thanks for sharing. Love learning about new people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, what a fascinating interview!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Liked the interview as always your passion toshare them. Hope you find more ways to do whatyou love sharing. Liked her development to fashion. I'm also a bit uncertain on leggings as a dress. And yea to an uncomfortable trend, not worth a try. Thanks Renata for bringing all their businesses to our eyes. Xx
    Isa A. Blogger

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a great interview. It started off with a guy with she was dating and then she fell in love with fashion more love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting interview. It is nice to hear what Janet has to say about fashion. I actually like Leggings as clothes because of the bizzard and unique designs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Comfort breeds confidence"- I will take that like as my styling mantra in the season ahead!

    ReplyDelete

Your reaction will be visible after being approved

How to connect with European Brands or Small shops and Bloggers or Influencers

Hi There.....Would you like to connect with others? Yes..... Cool..... I might have the perfect solution for you..... No..... Ok, I am cool ...