Thursday 3 November 2022

Interview With Jewelry Designer Esme Rogers

Hi There..... Do you sometimes wonder what I am going to write about?


Picture provided by Esme Rogers

Well, I have to admit, so do I. πŸ˜‚

Finding a subject isn’t hard. It could be an interview with a jewelry designer, fashion designer, fashion stylist, or a new interview with a makeup artist. 😊

At other times, it's a review of an item, and then there are my occasional beauty and fashion gift guides. πŸ˜ƒ

That’s the straightforward part, so if you didn’t know what you can find on my blog, now you do. πŸ˜‰

The hardest part is writing something interesting as an intro. How do you pull in the reader so that he doesn’t run? 😨

That’s crucial for me because I am not a fast runner. My 6-year-old granddaughter runs faster than me. πŸ˜‚

I suppose the most important about writing an intro is that you don’t make it too lengthy, get to the point. 😊

Then again, what is not too lengthy? Mr. Google says it’s about 100 to 200 words, so how long have I been blabbering today? 😦

Aha, perfect Wordcounter says 184 words and 981 characters, so after this super interesting intro, it's time to see what our jewelry designer has to say. 

Picture provided by Esme Rogers

What are your name, function, and the company you work for?  

I’m Esme Roger Evans and I’m the founder of Duxford Studios.

How old are you?

33

What kind of work do you do, or what are you studying to be? 

I’m a jewelry designer and maker working with ethically sourced precious metals and gemstones.

What made you decide to become a Jewelry Designer?

I was brought up in a creative household and went to uni to study Fine Art Sculpture. While studying, I experimented with different materials and often got frustrated by the excess waste, so I knew I needed to find a medium that was more environmentally friendly. 

After uni, I traveled through New Zealand where I found a jewelry-making course. The versatility and reusability of precious metals really excited me and I knew I’d found my thing! 

After NZ, I moved to Vietnam, where I taught myself wax carving, sat at my coffee table using cosmetic tools and nail files and I carried my creations on the back of a motorbike to be cast with the help of my translator. Although I was plagued with back pain and a badly marked coffee table, I’ve never been happier!

Jewelry design enables me to explore and satisfy my creativity by hand-making timeless and tactile wearable art for my customers. My work is concept-driven and inspired by contemporary culture and conceptual art. 

It’s important to me to promote the ethical materials I use to educate and encourage people to make conscious decisions when buying new products. 

Picture provided by Esme Rogers

Is fashion important to you? Why? 

Totally. To me, fashion is the simplest form of personal expression. It’s a way of communicating with the world around me without having to say a thing. 

It excites me to go to new places and unpick the local cultural vibe by seeing what choices people make with the clothing and accessories they pick.

What are your successes, and how did you achieve them?

They have featured me in Vogue Italia and Tatler magazine recently, which has felt like a massive achievement. Tatler approached me to be a part of a jewelry editorial which was a huge honor, and I worked with a fantastic photographer named Lauren Miksys, who I commissioned to take some beautiful shots of my jewelry, and one photo from our collaborative shoot got accepted by Vogue Italia. 

More recently, I have got my work listed on Harvey Nichols online, which I’m so thrilled with. 

I’m part of an ethical marketplace for jewelry and accessories called Seekd, and we’ve worked really hard to make this partnership a reality. 

What’s something you might want to do in the future?

I would love to research and find an ethically run gemstone mine to work with exclusively. Human slavery and exploitation, unsustainable mining practices, and CO2 emissions are issues traditionally exacerbated by the jewelry industry and, as a result, I only buy from reputable British suppliers. 

In the future, I would like to work more closely with the individuals working in the mining industry so that I can have a greater impact on ethical working practices. 

Is the name of the Brand important to you when you buy clothing?

I have brands that I enjoy buying from but the name of a brand isn’t the most important thing to me. I like to buy quality 2nd hand clothing when I can because there is so much waste in the fashion industry which has a hugely detrimental impact on our planet. 
When it comes to jewellery, I’m very careful to read up on the materials used by a designer before deciding to buy. Luckily, there are so many other fantastic British designers using ethically sourced materials, I often feel spoilt for choice!

Describe your personal style of clothing?

I would say I have a relatively relaxed style. Generally speaking, I focus on one stand out piece and pair it with more understated items. So maybe I’d pair a striking 80s jacket with a simple top and jeans. Being a jewellery, accessories always play a big role in my outfits too.

Picture provided by Esme Rogers

How did you find your personal style? Do you have a signature look? 

Through experimentation over the years. While I was at uni, I was obsessed with vintage and charity shopping and that’s never really left me. I’m a total sucker for an 80s jumpsuit!

Do you have an influence on other people’s clothing style?

I think I dress quite differently to my close friends. I wouldn’t say I influence them in how they dress as they all have their own unique styles, but we definitely enjoy seeing what we’re all wearing when we meet up.

What are in your eyes the best trends at the moment?

There’s a big push towards ethically made clothing and accessories at the moment, which I think is a fantastic and very necessary change in our culture. 

What are in your eyes the worst trends at the moment?

I’ve noticed that fringing has started to make a bit of a comeback which I find can look very fussy if it’s overdone.

What kind of fashion advice would you give us?

Buy a few good quality show stoppers that can be worn in combination with lots of different things. And always accessorise!
Who is your style icon and why?
I absolutely love Vivienne Westwood and Alexander McQueen. Authentic creativity seems to pour out of their work and they both have/had a punk rock rebellion which I totally identify with.  

Picture provided by Esme Rogers

Thank you, Esme, for working with me on this interview. I love you are trying to find an ethically run gemstone mine, and hope you can accomplish that soon. 😍

Hope you like my blog.....Until next time.....Have a nice day 

Renata (Seadbeady) 

Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on future posts and receive the next blog posts in your Email inbox  

Follow me on Instagram

Join me in my Facebook group to get more involved, if you want to be in my next gift guide, or just keep in touch 

Want to be on my blog next time?? Want me to review your product?? Just send me a message.

Liked my blog post? Share it with your friends by using the buttons below, or let me know what you think with a comment.

9 comments:

  1. so creative and inspiring! I loved the example of the work and I do wish there were more! so beautiful! the bones bracelet looks astonishing! The interview is very curious as well, thank you for yet again wonderrful read to me

    ReplyDelete
  2. it was wonderful meeting Esme through your blog and learning about her.. Very inspiring.. My daughter now prefers thrifting for quality clothes to do her part :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you, ideas can be easier than writing capturing intro or keep the read hooked to read all the posts. This is interesting interview. I haven't read a lot of jewelry interviews.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Esme is an inspiration. I admire how she promotes the use of ethical materials and encourages others to do the same. I'll certainly look into Seekd.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Coming up with ideas can be a challenge at times for sure; especially if you wait until you need to write a post to decide what you are actually going to write about. I always try to schedule my writing schedule for up to a month or two in advance so I don't run into tthat problem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is such an inspirational story. I love the thought of using ethical material in the creative work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dankjewel voor dit interessante interview en kijkje achter de schermen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wat mooi, echt helemaal mijn stijl. Ik houd sowieso erg van sieraden omdat het mini kunstwerkjes zijn vaak.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wat een mooi uitgebreid interview en leuk om zo iemand achter de ontwerpen te leren kennen

    ReplyDelete

Your reaction will be visible after being approved

How to connect with European Brands or Small shops and Bloggers or Influencers

Hi There.....Would you like to connect with others? Yes..... Cool..... I might have the perfect solution for you..... No..... Ok, I am cool ...