Thursday 24 November 2022

Fashion Stylist Interview With Anne Wilke

Hi There..... Have you ever considered an individual color analysis by a fashion stylist?


Picture provided by Anne Wilke

I haven't done a color analysis yet, but if someone would offer, let's say in exchange for a blog post, I wouldn't hesitate. That would be fantastic, except I am sure I'll never get that kind of offer. 😉

Ah, perhaps it's my fault because I could try to contact people and ask for it, but that's not my thing. I only apply to campaigns and never contact brands myself. 😊

Then again, I have a wonderful hubby who's excellent at picking the right clothes for me, so I could say I have my personal fashion stylist. 😁

Not that I always listen to his advice. If he comes to the dressing booth with something I don't like, it's hard to say no, but I still do. 😄

Once I went shopping with my husband and put on a pair of jeans that were a little torn, thinking they would last until I buy myself a new pair. When we arrived at the shopping center, we first went for a drink. 😊

As I went to the restroom, my pants ripped further, leaving me with a large hole in my pants. I was ever so glad my coat was long enough to cover it up. 😂

Enough about the stories. Let's see how our fashion stylist of today answered my questions. 😍

Picture provided by Anne Wilke

What is your name, function, and the company you work for?  

Anne Wilke
Owner/ Personal Color and Style Consultant

How old are you?

60

What kind of work do you do?

I work with women and men to gain confidence through the use of color and style. I offer my clients a variety of classes, such as a color analysis class, a private color class, a style class, or all-in-one-day color and style analysis classes. Through these classes, we can determine what colors look best on my clients so they can shine in their everyday life. I also help them develop their personal style, making shopping a breeze. 

What made you decide to become a Fashion Stylist?

I worked as an executive in high tech for over 25 years and experienced how much more confidence I had when I felt like I was wearing an outfit that made me feel good. When my daughter graduated from college, as a treat we both had our colors done by Karen Blanc with House of Colour. 

This turned out to be an amazing and life-changing experience. I loved how House of Colour processes are based on the science of color and unique body architectures combined with individual personalities. When House of Colour, a UK company, branched to the USA, I purchased a franchise. 

By this time, I had left the high-tech world to take care of my aging parents. Being a House of Colour consultant allowed me the flexibility I needed to take care of my personal life while also impacting other people's lives positively. 

I wanted to share with clients how they can look and feel good in what they wear with some color and style guidelines that are unique to them. This is ultimately what led me to be a House of Colour consultant, and I am never looking back!

Is fashion important to you? Why?

Personal style is important to me; not fashion, per se. I have always struggled with fashion, as so much of it does not work for me. I am broad-shouldered and tall, so I have always struggled. Even when I was young, I felt I was too tall and too skinny. 

House of Colour has helped me to find my personal style, learn how to accessorize, and be comfortable in what I wear. I realized a lot of the clothing I would pick out did not flatter me in the way I wanted it to, and I could never quite understand why. After finding out I was a Spring, I found it so much easier to shop for pieces I actually felt good about. 

Personal style is so impactful to me because of the way it can make someone feel. So many of my clients say they got comments about looking tired all the time or hating how they looked in photographs. They hadn’t had people tell them that anymore after my classes and felt so much better on camera! 

Personal style also involves investing in yourself- something so many of us forget to do! Once you invest in yourself, it is amazing how it can affect your career, your mood, and your personal life choices. Feeling good in your skin changes you for the better. 

What are your successes and how did you achieve them?

Using the House of Colour processes, it is fun to see the ah-ha moments my clients experience. 

Some examples:

Clients see how in-focus and beautiful they are with the correct colors
Clients see how the wrong colors can make them look tired
Clients see they are photogenic in the correct colors
Clients learn why some fashion trends work for them while others do not

As the first House of Colour franchisee in California, it took some work to get a client base. I have done this with planning and strong word of mouth from my wonderful clients. It is so important as a business owner to make each experience so impactful that my clients feel good about telling their loved ones about the service. I consider every referral an enormous success. 

Picture provided by Anne Wilke

Is the name of a Brand important to you when you buy clothing?

No, I have never been a name-brand shopper. In fact, I shy away from branded clothing, as I do not want to be a walking advertisement. That being said, there are some name brands I will purchase if the style works with my body shape. For example, if I find a store that caters to my style and I have had a lot of success in finding significant pieces, I will continue to shop there. 

The same goes for the quality of the clothing. If I have a piece that holds up well over time, I am more likely to frequent that place again. Do I care about the company name being embossed for everyone to see? Not so much… Functionality, comfort, and flattering pieces are all more important to me! I think this is a great message for my clients because I don’t want anyone to feel they need a ton of funds to look and feel good- you can find great pieces, and have even more options available to you once you find your style and best colors. 

Describe your personal style of clothing?

California casual with a glamorous vibe. Being in Southern California, it is usually in the 70s for most of the year. This affects my style because I like light layers and breathable fabrics. I do love to wear bold colors because I am so passionate about how my WOW colors affect me and the impact it has on my mood. 

How did you find your personal style? Do you have a signature look? 

Before House of Colour, I accessorized little. I would wear a chain necklace and small earrings. I have learned that I need larger-scale accessories and bold pops of color. Now I wear a scarf with multiple necklaces and larger earrings. This layering makes me feel put together and beautiful. I also really love flowy clothing because it is so comfortable and perfect for Southern California weather. However, when it comes down to it, I think my signature look is having a bold statement necklace and bold rings. 

In what way do you influence other people’s clothing style?

During a Personal Style Analysis class, I look at my client’s body architecture and proportions so we can determine how to give the optical illusion of balance. But body architecture is not the only factor we consider. We also take into consideration the client's personality- do they want drama or a more understated vibe?

With the body architecture and personality factors, I provide my clients with guidelines on how to dress: which necklines look best for them; what size patterns are best; which patterns are best; where they should wear a belt; what type of skirt and what length… Finding your personal style is a process and with these guidelines, clients learn to be comfortable and confident with their clothing choices.

I think the biggest way I influence other people’s clothing styles is by encouraging them to be courageous and seek something they haven't tried before. Many clients come in only comfortable in neutrals and leave with a new love for bolder colors that honestly suit them better. Making my clients feel comfortable and like they are in a safe space to discuss making these big changes is so important to me. 

Picture provided by Anne Wilke

What are in your eyes the best trends at the moment?

With people going to a hybrid work schedule between home and the office, there is a hybrid of work/leisure trend taking place. Luxe leisure wear with a smarter vibe. Suits are made to be comfortable: soft and slouchy with thicker, high-quality fabrics. Athleisure wear is also a cool thing to come of this- the idea of looking sophisticated enough to work, but then being able to go workout or pick up your kids in the same outfit is a really cool concept. 

We are also seeing items with more embellishments - beading, embroidery, sequins, or crystals. This is a fun way for you to add your personality to your style. Add bling with a brooch to your fall knit scarf.  

What are in your eyes the worst trends at the moment?

I really dislike slips as dresses no matter what age you are. If you choose to, that is totally up to you. This is just my personal preference. 

I dislike all the articles on how you can be too old for certain items. Some people need their skirt hems to be above the knee no matter how old they are- just based on their body's architecture. I also have clients say they are too old to wear royal purple even if it makes them look amazing… I would love to get rid of the idea that some clothing pieces are only made for some age groups!

What kind of fashion advice would you give us?

Invest in learning what colors look best on you and what types of clothing complement your body. Your body is perfect; clothing is not. Too many women and men keep an old pair of jeans from 10 years ago in their closet that every time they try on it makes them feel bad because it doesn't fit right- get rid of the jeans, learn what looks flattering on you, and feel GOOD in your skin in clothing that makes you feel good! 

Find an excellent tailor. Sometimes you find that perfect piece but it needs to be shorter or taken in… buy the piece and don’t be afraid to alter!

Don’t worry about the label size - I currently have four different-sized pants in my closet and they all fit great. All brands are different and what matters is that you feel great. 

Is there something else you would like to share with us about any upcoming fall/winter trends?

With sustainability being on so many shoppers' minds, gently pre-owned pieces of clothing will continue to be big. It is fun to see these “vintage” items modified to look modern. Personalities come out with a mix of old and new. I would encourage people to not shy away from vintage items, and tailoring is always available if necessary.

Picture provided by Anne Wilke

Thanks, Anne for answering my questions. I love your statement, "Your body is perfect; clothing is not" Couldn't agree more. 

If you feel like reading some more, here are a few more of my recent fashion stylist interviews: 

Hope you like my blog.....Until next time.....Have a nice day 

Renata (Seadbeady) 

Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on future posts and receive the next blog posts in your Email inbox  

Follow me on Instagram

Join me in my Facebook group to get more involved, if you want to be in my next gift guide, or just keep in touch 

Want to be on my blog next time?? Want me to review your product?? Just send me a message.

Liked my blog post? Share it with your friends by using the buttons below, or let me know what you think with a comment.

14 comments:

  1. I’m not what you’d call a fashionista, but I do luv anything with lots of bright, pastel or neutral colors. These can be shirts, pants, socks, etc. that’s because I like to be different, even if that different isn’t so polished as apposed to other outfits. But that’s just who I am; and there’s nothing worse then not being yourself!

    -Whitney Stewart

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it would be an amazing experience, My hubby is great at picking clothes out for me as well

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was an interesting read. I'd do a color analysis too if I had the chance!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had my colours done at a work function (cannot for the life of me remember why this was happening there) — it was really great as I got to really see what worked for me. I was able to pick out different things I would have overlooked otherwise. Great interview; I love Anne's vibe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's actually interesting, I would love to try the color class and improve my skills in picking colors.

    Great your partner help you with things. Thank you for sharing this lovely interview!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love fashion and will experiment if I’m feeling brave , I wouldn’t let my hubby pick my clothes out for me though ha

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the first time I hear about color analysis! This makes so much sense, I loooove it....Amazing interview.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea of a colour stylist as I think a lot of us are too worried about colour and how to use it that we stay away from it. At least I know that's the case for me x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sizes do vary so much depending on the brand. I have a few sizes in my closet that all fit well too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love fashion and switching up bits from my wardrobe . Kira

    ReplyDelete
  11. All these colors, wow!!! Super love her work, it is brilliant...Colors always work for me, always...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow ..really enjoy my read of this interview, sure you had a great time to meet & hear direct from this fashion stylist. Cheers Siennylovesdrawing

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a very interesting read about color analysis. Colors do truly give a big impact on our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such an interesting concept! I have never thought of color and the color you wear being such a big part of style. I dislike yellow but my grandmother always said it made my skin look really good - I never really understood it.

    ReplyDelete

Your reaction will be visible after being approved

How to connect with European Brands or Small shops and Bloggers or Influencers

Hi There.....Would you like to connect with others? Yes..... Cool..... I might have the perfect solution for you..... No..... Ok, I am cool ...